Thursday 13 December 2012

The Independent: 'Pon The Evils Of Sodomy

I understand why Catholics, with their odd notion that marriage is a sacrament, would wish to refuse to conduct one for same-sex couples, but as an evangelical Christian my concern is less whether I should be compelled to do so than why on earth any same-sex couple would want me to
.
Church weddings have to be conducted according to the "rites and ceremonies" of the church in question. Jumping over the inconvenience that no churches have or have ever had any rite or ceremony for such circumstances, it is without question that in any evangelical or reformed church a wedding includes a sermon on a topic of the minister's choice.
Were I ever to be obliged by the civil authorities to conduct such a wedding, my sermon would certainly include a forthright exposition of the Bible's teaching on sodomy and the evils of laws made by godless governments. If any homosexual couple and their guests were willing to sit through that for the 45 minutes or more of my average-length sermon, I suppose they would have earned the right to the piece of paper that entitles them to the very few and steadily diminishing privileges still conferred by the legal state of marriage in this country.
David P Negus
Stapleford, Nottingham

As an ordained priest of 17 years standing in the Church of England, I personally would not choose to marry a same-sex couple in a church building. I would however want my colleagues who disagree with me to have the choice to do so. The Government's approach to this issue reminds me of the phrase, "a sledgehammer to crack a nut".
The Rev Dave Thompson
Manchester

So the Church of England is going to be legally forbidden from conducting gay marriages, even if the vicar and congregation want to. And, of course, the Church is also legally forbidden from having women in senior positions of authority.
In other news, the number of people describing themselves as Christian plummets. Who would have thought it, when the Church is working so hard to get into the 20th century?
John Secker
Daresbury, Cheshire

Wouldn't it be wonderful if our established Church might recognise that two constituent groups which make up a significant proportion of its congregation aren't second-class citizens?
Simon Toyne
Director of Music, All Saints' Church, Kingston upon Thames

Letters to the Independent.
Every day in every way I hate religion more and more.
"But the Holly Bibble say you is disgusting. PS I am thick."
Ban the Bible and lock the nutters up. 
If there's a hell below, I so want to go.

3 comments:

  1. Me too.
    Is sodomy compulsory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sodomy may sometimes make your eyes water a bit, but it isn't iniquitous.

    ReplyDelete