Friday 21 December 2012

Ian McKellen: And This Week's Award For The Most Fawning Interview With Sir Ian Goes To...

‘When I came out, I told my stepmother Gladys, and she just said she had known for years and was glad I wasn’t lying any more. Before that, I presumed it would be bad for my career.

‘In the Fifties and Sixties, the life of a gay man was a secret. Homosexuality was illegal, so you didn’t draw attention to yourself. But coming out is the best thing I ever did and I’ve never met a gay person who didn’t think the same.

‘Even now there are young actors who want careers as romantic leading men and the best thing is not to reveal you’re gay. I suppose I used to wonder if I’d be allowed to play Romeo if I came out.

‘Eventually, I thought if you compromise to the extent of lying about yourself, is there any job in the world that’s worth that? I don’t think there is. It’s still a sensitive issue in Hollywood, though.’


From a positively gushing profile in the Daily Mail.
Mind you, somehow they forgot to ask Serena about the gaymarriage.
Oh, and apparently she's got a film out...

No comments:

Post a Comment