Tuesday 11 December 2012

Raymond Briggs: Happy Christmas

“The idea was clean, nice and silent. I don’t have happy endings. I create what seems natural and inevitable. The snowman melts, my parents died, animals die, flowers die. Everything does. There’s nothing particularly gloomy about it. It’s a fact of life.
"I’m not a fan of Christmas, although I support the principle of a day of feasting and presents, but the anxiety starts in October: how many are coming? Are they bringing grandchildren? How long will they stay?"

Radio Times.

Lucid simple genius, as ever from Raymond - and a very nice pink shirt, too.

"The artist is always an anarchist" - Lorca.

3 comments:

  1. I love his work. I think that's why The Snowman stays with you, because it's about death.
    I have an old (sadly not looked after at all by me) copy of Gentleman Jim and a much newer copy of Ethel & Ernest, both of which I'm going to re-read later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any body who goes to church on Christmas day celebrates the birth of Jesus if they go on through to Easter Day they will encounter the loss and bereavement but also the hope of new life. The snowman might return with the next snow fall . Have a Queer Christ Mass ! (Davidxxxxx)

    ReplyDelete