Sunday 14 April 2013

Jonathan Knight: No More Games

The New Kids On The Block singer recently opened up to Gay Times, in which he talks about being outed by popstar and former beard, Tiffany. ”I felt stupid having to make a public statement,” he says in the new issue. “Even when the band got back together in 2008, New Kids fans knew I was gay. Everyone did.”
While he may have lived an open life, it wasn’t quite public knowledge. And former outing king, Perez Hilton, was one of the ones that was determined to break the news.
“Perez tried to out me many times and I hate that guy for doing that. I was already gay and living a gay lifestyle but he wanted me to talk about it. Why? My brother and the rest of the guys don’t go on interviews saying ‘I’m straight” etc. so why do I need to just because I’m gay? People like him want me to talk about it to make themselves feel better. They think ‘I’m gay so I want to make sure everybody knows I’m not the only one out there.’ I hate that.”

Queerty.

Funny that Queerty forgets to mention somewhere else that kept outing Jonathan... Queerty!
Please accept our sincerest hypocrisy etc etc.

In October 2010, Perez Hilton told Ellen he was going to stop outing celebrities; "Over the last two weeks I have been doing everything I can to bring awareness to the teen suicides and gay bullying. In doing so, a lot of people have called me a hypocrite and a bully myself and a big one... From now on I really want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem."
One upshot of this was there were less boring articles in the media repeating the same tired old arguments about "the ethics of outing".
And, as he'd predicted, the number of visitors to his new kinder, gentler site dropped.
Perez Hilton's best-known "scalps" included Lance Bass, Anderson Cooper, Neil Patrick Harris, and, but of course, Jonathan Knight - all have since come out.

PS Yes, I know Fagburn may have also "suggested" various closeted people are homosexual, so don't write in. 

1 comment:

  1. Since your MO includes both accusing others of hypocrisy AND childishly sniggering about presumed closet gay people, what is the value of this criticism of the (odious) Hilton here? You seems to think different rules should apply to you so that we should give your hypocrisy a pass while joining you attacking others for theirs. Why should anyone do that?

    ReplyDelete