Monday 8 April 2013

Steven Davies: Not Not Out

I’d always known I was gay, but for a long time it wasn’t an issue. It helped that I was good at sport, because at school that was a route to popularity. But when I started touring with England, the dynamic changed. I couldn’t face long trips away from home trying to hide my sexuality the whole time. So before the last Ashes series, I made sure my team-mates knew.
That was 2½ years ago. And it was the best decision I’ve ever made — even if it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done... 
The process has been surreal at times. When the story broke, I went to buy the papers at my local garage, and could see my face on the front pages from 30 yards away. That was an uncomfortable time. But it turned out to be the right thing to do. Now, I just want to be recognised as a good cricketer. If people aren’t mentioning my sexuality by the time I retire, I’ll be happy with that. 

Steven Davies - one of two British professional sportsmen who is out - talking to The Times

No comments:

Post a Comment