Sunday 28 October 2012

Derek Jacobi & Ian McKellen: Vicious Old Queens?

Newsflash! I rang the ITV press office and was told this story was "pure speculation" (which doesn't mean that it's not definitely going to happen). As always, depressing how many gay websites ran this without questioning it or checking it.  


ACTING legend Sir Ian McKellen is to swap movie blockbusters for primetime telly.
He will star in a major new ITV1 sitcom, Vicious Old Queens, alongside Sir Derek Jacobi, 74.
The show, scheduled for Friday nights starting next April, will feature the two as elderly gay men living together in London’s ­Covent Garden...
Six half-hour episodes have been commissioned, written by American Gary Janetti, executive producer [and writer] of long-running US sitcom Will And Grace.

This comes from Daily Star Sunday, and I can find no other reference online, so one could doubt its veracity (I'll check on Monday).
Can't remember the last British "gay sitcom" - though that may be because I've blotted them from my mind.

Update: I phoned Sir Ian's agent and asked about this, and was told "We have no comment to make" so emphatically and repeatedly, I wonder if something is in the pipeline...

Update 2: Only took eight days for someone else to bother to check this story - Media Guardian suggest it's happening. Here's their earlier take on it - churnalism that I've been pestering their Reader's Editor about. A victory of sorts. Ho hum..

No comments:

Post a Comment