Wednesday 25 July 2012

David Cameron: Speech To The Gays

A transcript of David Cameron’s speech to the LGBT community at Number 10 Downing Street on 24 July 2012.

“I just wanted to say three things to you tonight. First of all, this party is really a celebration of the immense contribution that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people make in every part of our country, in the arts, in media, in sport, in business, in finance – but mainly the arts, cause they're so creative, aren't they?"
"This is something I personally feel very passionately about.”
"And I mean that most passionately and personally."
"Marriage is great, isn't it? We should all get married. Gay, straight, whatever - just get married.
“It’s something I feel passionately about and I think if its good enough for straight people like me, it’s good enough for everybody and that’s why we should have gay marriage and we will legislate for it, maybe make it compulsory.
"This is something I personally feel very passionately about. And passionately personally. 
“And I know there’s going to be some big arguments, many of them too boring for words.
“I run an institution – the Conservative Party – which for many many years got itself on the wrong side of this argument, it locked people out who were naturally Conservative from supporting it by being run by a bunch of homophobic right-wing shitbags.
“Of course this is very, very complicated and difficult issue for all the different Churches, but I passionately believe that all institutions need to wake up to the case for equality, and the Church shouldn’t be locking out people who are gay, or are bisexual or are transgender from being full members of that Church, because many people with deeply held Christian views, are also gay. They all get off on looking at Jesus on a cross in his pants FFS.
“The third point I wanted to make is, changing laws is important, legislating is important. But what is equally important – arguably now what is more important – equally equally - is actually equally going to be changing culture… whether it’s on the football field, or in the rugby dressing room; I have mentioned the rugby dressing room because this particularly troubled my thoughts when I was at Eton.
"This is something I personally feel very passionately about.
"Passionately, personally, platitudinally.
"Thank you THE GAYS for coming here and shoring up our right-wing class war coalition.
"Gay marriage - fuck yeah!
"PS We've stopped your benefits,"

No comments:

Post a Comment