Saturday 28 January 2012

Stephen Fry: Last Night A Mobile Library Saved My Life

The Times today runs a smashing piece by Stephen Fry on how a local mobile library in Norfolk introduced his 11 year-old self to Mr Oscar Wilde.
First he read The Importance Of Being Earnest, but he soon hit the harder stuff; The Complete Works, then - after lying to the librarian about his age - H Montgomery Hyde's The Trials of Oscar Wilde.

"I took it home and read it. It was a book that changed my life. The heroic lord of language who had captivated me so entirely turned out to have had a secret life. And the more I read the faster my heart beat. For I knew that I shared the same secret. I had never quite dared tell myself this truth but reading of Wilde’s arrest and trial I could not but know it to be true.
"It was shattering, terrible, liberating, stimulating, appalling, wonderful and incredible all at once."

Gagging for more, young master Fry soon hits the main library in Norwich...

"Over the next few years the trial and trail of Oscar had led me to read Gide and Genet, Auden and Orton, Norman Douglas and Ronald Firbank. Unforgettable, transformative books for me were that same H. Montgomery Hyde’s The Other Love, Roger Peyrefitte’s The Exile of Capri and Special Friendships, Angus Stewart’s Sandel and Michael Campbell’s Lord Dismiss Us. I read of man-love, boy-love and free love. I clutched to myself the dark secrets of the infamous Book 13 of the Greek Anthology and the Venice letters in Quest for Corvo. I read Cuthbert Worsley’s Flannelled Fool and Robin Maugham’s Escape From the Shadows. From over the Atlantic I encountered Gore Vidal and John Rechy. I discovered the Tangier set, by way of Michael Davies, Paul Bowles, William Burroughs and dozens of others.
"For a gay youth growing up in the early 1970s a library was a way of showing that I was not alone. There was an element of titillation and breathtaking possibility, even the chance of a fumbled encounter, but there was vindication, too. Some of the best, finest, truest, cleverest minds that ever held a pen in their hands had been like me..."

Wonderful.
So how does The Times title this moving piece about the life-affirming, life-saving power of the written word?
'Stephen Fry: The Library Taught Me About Sex'
For sex's sake!
It's taken from The Library Book, a collection of essays by various authors released on National Libraries Day, February 4th, in aid of The Reading Agency.
Yes, of course, Alan Bennett's in it.
Not sure if you're meant to buy the book or borrow it from the library.
Maybe best to do both.

1 comment:

  1. UND!!!

    Fry’s Teenage Reading List

    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (1895)
    Wilde’s most revered play was his last before being imprisoned for “sodomy and gross indecency”.

    Sandel by Angus Stewart (1968)
    Stewart’s depiction of a love affair between an undergraduate and a 13-year-old choir boy has become a cult gay novel.

    Lord Dismiss Us by Michael Campbell (1967) This novel set in a boys’ public school was published in the same year that homosexuality was legalised in the UK.

    Escape from the Shadows by Robin Maugham (1972)
    Autobiographical account of homosexual awakening and living from Somerset Maugham’s nephew.

    ReplyDelete