Friday 13 January 2012

Chris Bryant: He Wants To Take You To A Gay Bar! Gay Bar!

"It is significant that we now have more out gay Members of Parliament than ever before. Indeed, sometimes when you go into the Strangers Bar you feel as though you are in Rupert Street. It is virtually a gay bar now, and my husband sometimes worries about whether I should be allowed in there any more."

Chris Bryant, speaking in the House Of Commons on Wednesday.
And who is this Rupert Street dude, Chris?
Boom boom!
He was actually making some serious points about diversity and that.

"Even the numbers that we have, however, do not come near matching the numbers in the country in terms of the percentage of the population. It is a great sadness to me that there are still only two out lesbians in
Parliament, because two prejudices have been, as it were, tied together to form one. I pay tribute to those who have come out. That is difficult however, as not every gay person wants to be out, and I do not think they should have to be. I disagree with what Iain Stewart [Milton Keynes South, Conservative MP] said about role models. I hope to God nobody will ever think of me as a role model in relation to anything whatsoever at any time."

But then he also made another joke.

"I was once described in the Daily Mail as an ex-gay vicar; I just want to point out that I am an ex-vicar, but my gayness is extant."

He's such a card, isn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment