Monday 30 January 2012

Shame: My Brother Makes The Noises For The Talkies


'Last summer, I was invited to do ADR for Shame. At the time, we knew nothing about the film. My agent said: "It involves sexual sounds. Do you mind?" I said: "No, it's just a job. It's fine."
'The sound engineer kept the sexual stuff till the end. There's a scene where Michael Fassbender's character goes to a gay club. At the back of some shots, couples were at it. So I stood at the microphone with another guy and we improvised. For example: "Yeah. YEAH. Go deeper, GO DEEPER." The sound engineer would say: "OK, a bit more intense, please." You came up with anything you could think of. "Who's your daddy?" Stuff like that.'

John Moraitis, ADR (Additional Dialogue Recorder), on The Guardian blog
Illustrated here with the Hungarian poster for Shame.
Which - oddly - didn't catch on. 
There is no such thing as "sex addiction" by the way, it's a wholly nebulous concept. 
Doing something many times because you enjoy doing it is not an "addiction".
Dickwad. 

7 comments:

  1. "Doing something many times because you enjoy doing it is not an 'addiction'"

    That's not quite the definition of addiction, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that was my point...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not the definition of sex addiction, is what I meant.
    You may as well say all alcoholics are not really addicted just because they drink "many times because they enjoy it".
    There's a difference between someone who drinks a lot and someone who's addicted to alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that was my point.

    *insertsmadfaceemoticon*

    ReplyDelete
  5. People offering their uninformed opinion as a statement of objective fact.
    There really isn't enough of this on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have encountered a social worker using "addiction" to mean "learned behaviour". Perhaps that is what is meant here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, but that's not "addiction", either.

    ^^ And I have won two awards for writing about drugs and drug use, so I may not be that uninformed.

    ReplyDelete