Sunday 29 January 2012

Charlie Condou: On Being Frank


'For Rupert Everett it was clear cut. Coming out ruined his career. And if an Equity survey published this week is anything to go by, many actors feel the same.
'According to the survey, only 57% of gay actors feel they can be open about their sexuality to their agents. '"A previous agent of mine once told me to keep quiet about my sexuality and, though I am out, I do not broadcast it," said one.
'I can't relate at all. For my entire career I've never had a problem being frank about my sexuality, never felt I've been turned down for a role on the basis of being gay, and have only played three gay characters in a career that spans 20 years. The idea that keeping your sexuality a secret will win you better and more varied roles is a lame excuse – often the result of internalised homophobia rather than reality. The industry has moved on and it's time actors did as well.
'Some of Hollywood's most bankable actors are openly gay. Ian McKellen, for example, starring in some of the highest grossing franchises in cinematic history such as Lord of the Rings and X-Men, had his most commercially successful period as an actor after he came out in 1988. Look at how the career of Russell Tovey, openly gay from the start and one of this country's brightest young prospects, has blossomed. And my co-star on Coronation Street, Jeremy Sheffield, is still very much the housewives' choice and leading-man material – he's been out since he started. So why all the fuss?'

Charlie Condou -  who plays the bent Marcus Dent in Coronation Street - writing on Guardian Online
Well said, sir.
Though your list of "bankable actors" who are "openly gay" is not a very long one, is it? 
And I doubt we could stretch it that much further.
Which is odd - seeing as probably only cabin crew beat acting as a queer career choice. 
Hollywood's only just got its first out young male lead, Zachary Quinto.
And we're still waiting to see what roles he gets offered post coming out.
Not that that negates your original thesis, mind. 
Or does it?

4 comments:

  1. "... my co-star on Coronation Street, Jeremy Sheffield, is ..."

    More of a cameo role, I'd say. Unlikely we'll see him again on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with his remarks about Russell Tovey to a degree but RT is at the start of his career and like McKellen and so he may be the exception rather than the rule. RT in a recent article stated "But for me it's just: get on with it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie Condou can hardly comment. Corry appearances aside, has Charlie ever enjoyed any great success as an actor? Can this lack of success be attributed to homophobia? If you consider the international situation, and not just the fairly liberal world of British soaps, the fact is that there are very few "out and proud" gay actors. The figures speak for themselves, homophobia is aiive and well in Hollywood and beyond.

    ReplyDelete