Thursday 28 June 2012

To SA: Dahoum

I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands
and wrote my will across the sky in stars
To gain you Freedom, the seven-pillared worthy house,
that your eyes might be shining for me
When I came

Death was my servant on the road, till we came near
and saw you waiting:
When you smiled, and in sorrowful envy he outran me and
took you apart:
Into his quietness

So our love's earnings was your cast off body to be
held one moment
Before earth's soft hands would explore your face and
the blind worms transmute
Your failing substance.

Men prayed me to set my work, the inviolate house
in memory of you.
But for fit monument I shattered it, unfinished: and now
The little things creep out to patch themselves hovels
in the marred shadow
Of your gift.

4 comments:

  1. To a *child*? Do you *think* ?
    On a side note. My great uncle was a homeopathic doc who treated T.E and I have a large personalised Seven Pillars of Wisdom..Me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Wasn't he the same age as the kid in Iran who you called a 'child' ?

      Delete
  3. No, he wasn't a child.
    That's so beautiful that dedication.
    I see everything he did as motivated out of his love for Dahoum.
    I know that's obvious in the dedication, but the gay reading is still challenged to this day, isn't it?

    After readin Andrew Hodges biography of Alan Turing, I really think everything he went on to do was motivated by the boy he fell in love with at school and who died shortly after.
    It sounds sill maybe, but reading the biography you get the sense of how deep his love was and how his death affected him and his subsequent work was motivated by the loss in some profound ways, I think.

    ReplyDelete