Sunday 16 September 2012

Thought For The Day: Rupert Everett

When you’re young, you don’t care. I was busy constructing my identity — I didn’t give a damn about what anybody else felt. 
Looking back, I wish I’d not said tons of things. A lot of what I thought about life was just wrong! But it’s too late to worry about that now. Families are like desert islands, aren’t they? You’re all stuck there together, so you might as well get on. There’s no point in regrets. 
 [My mother] has met my boyfriend, but I’d imagine she still wishes I had a wife and kids. She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her. I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads. 
Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion. I’m not speaking on behalf of the gay community. In fact, I don’t feel like I’m part of any “community”. The only community I belong to is humanity and we’ve got too many children on the planet, so it’s good not to have more. 
The curious thing is that, as I’ve grown older, I find myself agreeing with my mother on lots of things. I look around at this new world we’ve created and I find it scary. We all share our problems on TV. We shed tears on X Factor. My mother would be far more stoic. After we lost my father, she just said: “This is how it is. Let’s get on with it”. She was right... 

The Sunday Times.

His mum said; "In the past, I have said that I wish Rupert was straight and, I probably still feel that. I’d like him to have a pretty wife. I’d like him to have children. He’s so good with children. He’d make a wonderful father. But I also think a child needs a mummy and a daddy. I’ve told him that and he takes it very well. He doesn’t get angry with me. He just smiles."

Aren't posh people odd?

PS A companion piece in The Sunday Times says; 'The actor Rupert Everett will upset fellow homosexuals [sic] with his views on parenting - WHEN Rupert Everett, the actor, came out of the closet more than 20 years ago he was heralded as a champion of gay rights.'
It's debatable when he came out, but no-one has ever thought Rupert was "a champion of gay rights."

3 comments:

  1. "I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads." What a stupid thing to say. Much better to have abusive parents as long as they're heterosexual I guess. Lots of things worse than that.

    And I don't like being mean to Rupert's poor old mum but she comes across as a real Daily Mail bigot. She thinks Rupert would make a wonderful parent but wants to refuse him the opportunity to be one.

    "..we’ve got too many children on the planet, so it’s good not to have more."

    Yeah, the 0.00000001% of the world population that gays are responsible for are a real problem.

    Poor Rupert, still not thinking things through clearly.

    I agree with him on the "gay community" though. Probably a consequence of our age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only comunity that Everett is a member of is SELF. He is self absorbed and narcissistic and his stupid mother feeds that being called SELF.

    Like most families that don't tackle their dysfunction, they deserve each other.

    I had a partner once who's mother still believed that he would marry and have kids and my partner used to feed that craziness. Needless to say I got out of that oedipal complex pdq.

    Nowt so queer as folk. Nowt so queer as a queer stuck in another age. and in a marriage with his mother.

    ReplyDelete