Thursday 15 March 2012

Stephen Gray: An Apology

Yesterday I sent out a tweet knocking Pink News for mentioning in passing; "tomorrow’s government consultation on how to introduce equal marriage rights for gays."
I phoned the Home Office and asked if it was true that the consultation was beginning tomorrow, and was told, no, the consultation was being formally announced.
After exchanging emails with Stephen Gray from Pink News I now understand that the Home Office have in fact been describing the above as the start/launch of the consultation process.
So I was wrong to mock, and I apologise to Stephen.
Maybe it's karma for my cuntery?
(Pink News' story proper on this - written later - is headed; 'Consultation plans for the UK government’s introduction of civil marriage equality for gay couples are expected to be unveiled tomorrow').
I told Stephen that although I have been critical about some things he has written -  which is kind of the point of this blog - I understand that he is doing a difficult job, pretty much editing and writing Pink News on his own.
And also that it's clear he does try to search out stories, explain them, and give background and context, and alternative viewpoints - unlike some.
I ended my first email to Stephen Gray by saying that I think he's one of the good guys of gay journalism, and expressing regret that I hadn't said so before on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment