Sunday 8 September 2013

Tom Daley: NOT Gay

Olympic diving hunk Tom Daley insists he is NOT gay – and says he doesn’t care if people think he is.
“I think it’s funny when people say I’m gay... I laugh it off,” says Tom, who was voted the world’s ­sexiest man by iconic gay magazine Attitude last week.
“I’m not. But even if I was, I wouldn’t be ashamed. It wouldn’t bother me in the slightest what people thought.
“But I can understand why I have a massive gay following – I spend most of my life half naked in trunks on a diving board showing off my bare chest.
“I often joke I wear more to bed than I do to work. But I’m cool with my gay following. It’s great to have gay fans even though my friends gently take the mick.”
Tom, 19, says he doesn’t think of himself as a pin-up, even though his six pack and trademark skimpy speedos have gained him an army of fans. He reckons he’s too busy concentrating on what matters to him most.
“I just think about my diving,” he says. “If people think I am gay or that I don’t focus on my diving enough and go out too much, there is always going to be an opinion – and if I worry about that too much, then my diving goes downhill.”
And when it’s not men ogling Tom, there are plenty of female fans fawning over the hot young star...

Sunday Mirror.

Well, that's cleared that up, and Fagburn hopes it puts an end to all this childish tittle-tattle once and for all!
Just like it did when Oscar Wilde, Liberace, Justin Fashanu, and Wentworth Miller said they weren't gay.

Please bear (bare?) in mind these "quotes" are in a Sunday tabloid, and so may have absolutely no relation to anything our Tom actually said.
Not that I'm suggesting for a moment that journalists - or people in PR - ever make up or doctor quotes.
Both Attitude and GT have been begging for an interview with young master D, and have thus far got nowhere, so very surprised (if?) this got through, unless it was pre-planned.

Maybe Tom isn't gay, maybe he doesn't know what he is yet.
I can't read his mind - though that's not for wont of trying.
And there's a long list of gay men who've publicly denied they were gay, from Wilde, through Liberace and Justin Fashanu, to Wentworth Miller.
Maybe he really did say and mean all the above, but I have to say if a PR agency wanted to place an article in a friendly paper designed to end speculation about Tom's sexuality, in the nicest and most gay-friendly way possible, I guess it would read a lot like this.

PS Eagle-eared viewers may have noticed Elton John's new album is called The Diving Board. The title track is about "the pitfalls of fame and being a young star". Uh-huh.

Update: And today the notorious heterosexual Tom Daley was spotted at something called The Fruitmarket (!) in a kilt... with his arm round Clyde. 
I shall make no further comment.

4 comments:

  1. Sad to say, I wouldn't be surprised if he did deny it.
    Let's face it, he's spent the last few years either actively adopting a beard or just posting endless photos of himself with the lasses (albeit just friends).
    Plus he has A LOT of money riding on advertising which largely relies on his attractiveness to girls, who make up most of his fan base.
    It's a shame, but the path he's taking - presenting, advertising and so on - I think it'll be a long time before he comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm not a professionally trained psychiatrist, but surely this can only lead to a full-scale public meltdown when Tom is at some international diving competition, and - whilst on the high board - gets his cock out and has a wank while crying tears of unbelievable sadness.

      Delete
  2. At least he's not going down the Blairite "vile jibes" route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do realise that dreams that are explicitly sexual may really be about other things, such as anxiety that you've not paid your electricity bill?

    ReplyDelete