Friday 15 February 2013

Robbie Rogers: Hello Goodbye

United States and ex-Leeds United winger Robbie Rogers says he is "stepping away" from football after announcing he is gay.
Rogers, 25, who was released by Leeds in January after a loan spell at Stevenage, is only the third footballer to publicly declare his homosexuality.
"I always thought I could hide this secret. Football was my escape, my purpose, my identity," said Rogers.
"Now is my time to step away. It's time to discover myself away from football."*
The Football Association said it would fully back Rogers, regardless of whether he continues his career... 

BBC Sport. 

Like so many people, Fagburn says well done and good luck and that.
As a proper gayer I don't have a clue who he is, but a football fan fag friend tells me that Rogers really is someone of note in the world of sport ("Unlike Hysen...")
And I'm told there was "not a peep" that he wasn't as other soccer players. 
It does seem rather sad though that Rogers could only come out after he'd left professional football.
Or that he decided to come out and so felt that he had to leave professional football.
Fagburn also wonders if there's anything more to this story.
Still, can't wait to read all those rehashed 'Football - The Last Closet!' articles in the media next week.
Zzzz...

* From Robbie's coming out message on his website.

1 comment: