Sunday 17 February 2013

Letters: Bathos Defined

Dear Mr Jones,
I am writing to inform you that I don't agree that children shouldn't be brought up by lesbian or gay people. My name is [name redacted] and I am a child with lesbian parents. I have got a little sister called [name redacted] for short and I have got two mums, one is called [name redacted] and the other is called [name redacted]. I have been brought up perfectly well so I don't see any point in you saying that. Me and some of my other friends agree that you can be brought up by anyone who will love you and care for you and make sure your [sic] happy. Please write back!
Yours sincerely,

[name redacted].

Letter to David Jones MP.
A scan of the hand-written note was sent to Jones via Twitter.
When picked up by the IoS, the 8 year-old girl's mother asked for her identity to be protected.*

SIR – As an old-fashioned conservative, I thought that it was our job to protect the institutions and ways of life that people hold dear. These Tory modernisers who are attempting to redefine the sanctity of marriage should take heed.
By definition, gay marriage can never be upheld in the eyes of the Lord, nor I should imagine, by middle-class Tory Britain.

John Bridge
Southend-on-Sea, Essex


Letter to the Sunday Telegraph.

* This has been widely ignored - sad when it's by journalists who first learned of the story from the Independent On Sunday. I've also seen some journos RTing a scan of the note on Twitter - odd, sad and hypocritical when the same hacks have complained about privacy intrusion by the News of the World etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment