Friday 15 February 2013

A E Housman: Oh Were He And I Together

Oh were he and I together
  Shipmates on the fleeted main,
Sailing through the summer weather
  To the spoil of France or Spain.

Oh were he and I together,
  Locking hands and taking leave,
Low upon the trampled heather
   In the battle lost at eve.

Now are he and I asunder
  And asunder to remain;
Kingdoms are for others' plunder,
  And content for other slain.

A rare and previously unpublished poem by A E Housman is to be auctioned, reports The Independent. 
Oh Were He And I Together was written about his lifelong unrequited pash, Moses Jackson.
From photos of hot sports dudes to poetry by Edwardian dead gaylords - who else gives you all this?

PS You may have guessed there's not much in medialand for Fagburn today. Still lookin'...

1 comment:

  1. Love him!
    Betjeman, Larkin, Housman, and Hardy are me faves.
    You can stick your avant gardes up your bum!!!

    ReplyDelete