Tuesday 12 February 2013

David Cameron: A Handbag?

David Cameron is enjoying the rare experience of adulation from a united Conservative Party. He’s briefing MPs on the EU budget deal, and wallowing in their praise; no less a figure than Peter Bone has just called him “the heir to Thatcher.”
So cheery is the PM that he’s engaging in some slightly near-the-knuckle banter with his backbench colleagues about recent events.
“I don’t have a handbag,” Mr Cameron just said with a grin. “Can I just reassure my honourable friends, I know I’ve upset them recently…. I don’t have a handbag and I have absolutely no plans to get one.”
In response to various cheery heckles from his own side, he added: “Not a handbag nor a manbag.”
Mr Cameron did not say quite how he had upset his party, but some will surmise that he was referring to last week’s vote on gay marriage. If that’s so, I wonder why he thinks that issue should have anything to do with men carrying handbags?

The Telegraph Blogs on the ever hilarious David Cameron in the Commons yesterday.
When I heard it I didn't think it was about gay marriage, but did seem rather dodgy.

Update: Telegraph at PM's Questions on February 13th; ''Tory MP Penny Mourdant refers to the planning dispute in the Eastleigh by-election. Mr Cameron says "if you want a straight-talking candidate that does exactly what it says on the tin" then vote Maria Hutchings. Mrs Hutchings, the anti-Europe, anti-gay marriage candidate is certainly straight-talking.'
Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment