Saturday 18 August 2012

Nick Grimshaw: Who Knew!!?

For someone who's never off the TV and radio, he cuts a rather enigmatic figure, rarely giving interviews: "I don't guard my privacy, but I don't really see the point in doing press if there's nothing to talk about. You don't want to be in the paper for the sake of it." 

His personal life seems slightly mysterious, largely because it appears to be nonexistent. One page of a fan website is given to trying to decipher whether or not he's gay – "the truth is that no one really knows because he's not directly answered that question," it puzzles, before adding hastily, "we all love 'Grimmy' either way!" – today, at least, he seems happy to acknowledge that he is. 
But he's never really had a relationship, he says. "I've just not met anyone that I thought oh, I really like you that much. I work so much, when I do go out, I'd rather go out with my friends. I rather do that than, like, go out on the prowl. I literally can't think of anything worse."

It just seems a bit of a waste, I say, given that he's young and handsome and famous. "It does, doesn't it?" He thinks for a minute, before suggesting he'd "really like to go out with Frank Ocean", the R&B singer who outed himself as bisexual earlier this year. He thinks again. "I think he might be whiny, though. Like, why have you not called me? He might be a bit wet. I think I'm just forcing that Frank thing." He laughs. "You see, as soon as I decide, I talk myself out of it."

Nick Grimshaw gets that whole gay thing out in the open and out the way before starting as Radio 1's new Breakfast Show DJ next month.
Though we kinda knew, I guess this counts as Nick's coming out interview. 
He was talking to Alexis Petridis in The Guardian

2 comments:

  1. PRINCE OF SNARKNESS…not arf!18 August 2012 at 13:55

    yaaaaay!!! this has happied me...i could kiss that big easter island head of his.
    him on the breakfast show, along with that annoying cotton bint going on maternity leave is toofuckinamazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always assumed he was out from the start - everything I read about him seemed to suggest he was.
    Good news, anyway - he nice.

    ReplyDelete