Friday 31 August 2012

Daily Telegraph: Behind The Times

In other theatrical news, I can disclose that Darren Day is to play a homosexual gospel singer in The Last Session at the tiny Tristan Bates Theatre in Covent Garden next month. The Hollyoaks star tells me: "I am thrilled to be playing the part of Gideon in this work as the book, score and lyrics are stunning. The part is a real contrast to my usual roles as I'll be playing a gay gospel singer who is HIV positive. Also, I love the challenge of performing a musical at an intimate theatre like the Tristan Bates. I'm more accustomed to large scale musicals and television. A new challenge is always fantastic and I couldn't resist this as the piece and part are so brilliant." 

The Daily Telegraph - the only British newspaper that still recommends calling gay men "homosexual" in its style book.
"gay: permissible in headlines if essential but use homosexual in text."
Then later, for clarification; "homosexual is an adjective, not a noun"
The baffling "gays" (a noun, not an adjective) is often used elsewhere - even in some gay media - though I don't know of any "gay" who uses it in speech, unless they are being ironic.
Not that I'm suggesting some gay journalists are completely out of touch or anything.
Heaven forfend!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Invert, for me too.
    I'd not thought about the demise of the "pouffe" being related to the rise of "pooves" but I think you have raised an interesting subject.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRINCE OF SNARKNESS31 August 2012 at 23:05

    "polymorphous perverse" for me, thank you.
    sounds a bit 70s punk singer... bin bags and bad teeth.

    "shirt lifter" for some reason puts the willies up me; i associate it with john inman proffering grace bothers shirts with ugly enormous collars in shades of putty, mushroom, and beige.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think using 'gay' as a noun is making a bit of a comeback, for example:

    "My friend Sarah is going out all the time and she takes loads of drugs, basically she lives as a gay."

    But a personal favourite has got to be 'quincer', as a noun, or 'quincy' as an adjective.

    ReplyDelete