Friday 28 October 2011

Will Young: I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar!

“I have a bit of a funny thing with Rihanna. I’m a bit of a feminist and I think what Rihanna represents is not necessarily the best thing.
“She’s overtly sexual. And it’s so, ‘I’m an object and oh there’s another women in my video, are we lesbians, I’m not sure!’ It’s so disparaging towards women.
“Everyone plays the game, but it’s not good enough. It’s not empowering.
“I think as a woman Lady Gaga is far more interesting.”

Will Young - arguably Britain's most respected public intellectual since Bertrand Russell - gives his highly honed thoughts on the great "sexy videos" and fauxmosexuality debates during a discussion on that salon du nos jours The Jo Whiley Music Show.
This month your sex-hysterical and censorship-bonkers government announced it wants record companies to introduce an age ratings system for music videos.

2 comments:

  1. Have to say Mr Young was quite good on Woman's Hour... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0167zk2#p00lc5n0

    Talking about how being a gayer may have saved his career, as they couldn't market him as teeny fluff etc

    If the above has lapsed the interview was repeated on Weekend Woman's Hour which should be archived presently...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flattering photo!

    ReplyDelete