Thursday 15 July 2010

Peter Mandelson: No Pussyfooting


Peter Mandelson and Evan Davis have just been locking handbags horns over on Radio 4's Today programme.
Well, I wish they had been.
Davis was so gentle with the Princess of Darkness I started wishing that patronising old frump John Humphrys was doing it, so he and Mandelson could have a Miss Rude competition.
Not much to report - of course Mandy had to publish his memoirs so soon after the election, better than re-opening all those old wounds next year, eh?
No, he wouldn't be donating the proceeds to the Labour Party.
I end up only half-listening and thinking about my breakfast.
Then Davis says; "There's only five mentions of Ronaldo."
Eh?
I'm thinking, that Cristiano Ronaldo's a good-looking young chap but why on Jupiter would Mandelson write about the Portugese footballer in his memoirs?
Oh - Reinaldo is the name of Peter's boyfriend!
I'd forgotten all about him - which is probably what Mandelson wants people to do.
Davis says it's evidence of how Mandy doesn't come across as a very well-rounded figure, there's not much sign of a life outside politics.
Peter Mandelson sort of sighs and gives some glib managerial non-reply, which kind of proves the point.
Interview over - opportunity missed.
Evan Davis can't resist signing off with a little catty put down; "The Third Man by Peter Mandelson - salacious gossip and little bits on trade policy."
Perhaps once again any reticence on Mandelson's part was because The Times is going to get all the good stuff?
He has made what Fagburn believes is his first ever public commentary about being gay in a video interview for The Times - I would give a link but it's hidden behind their new paywall.
''I would hate to think that I take a stand because I have one sexuality, or one sexual orientation.
''I think it's important that people should be able to get to the top of politics – or whatever profession they aspire to travel to the top of – irrespective of what they are.
''I think I'm actually quite a good role model for people who, without any fuss or bother, without any self-consciousness or inverse or other discrimination, (are) able to make it in politics, to make it in public life, to make it to the top places in government of our country.
''That shows a lot of people that you don't have to be worried or ashamed or self-conscious. It's your ability that counts. You can be who you are, what you are and still get to the top in Britain.
''I'm rather proud of that. If I've demonstrated that, and provided a role model for that, then I think I've done a service.''
Though never actually coming out and leaning heavily on newspaper bosses and BBC bigwigs to try and ensure that no mention was ever made of his homosexuality showed a certain amount of shame, worry and self-consciousness, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment