Friday 16 November 2012

Daily Mail: Christian Unmartyred

Obviously the Daily Mail is over the many moons of Jupiter about this.
I've always suspected there was a back story here that we didn't hear, but, yes, it was a daft decision and I'm glad it's been overturned.
The judge was right to conclude; “I cannot envisage how his moderate expression of his particular views about gay marriage in church, on his personal Facebook wall at a weekend out of working hours, could sensibly lead any reasonable reader to think the worst of the Trust for having employed him as a manager.
“The frank but lawful expression of religious or political views may frequently cause a degree of upset, and even offence, to those with deeply held contrary views, even where none is intended by the speaker.
“This is a necessary price to be paid for freedom of speech.”
Even loopy Christian bigots should be allowed to post their mad, medieval and mean-spirited views on Facebook without fear of reprisals from their bosses.

Update: Saturday's Mail followed this story up with a gushing interview with Adrian Smith - 'Vindicated - But Ruined' - conducted by their in-house gay Uncle Tom, Andrew Pierce

PS Whenever I see someone quote the line; "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," I just want to smash their face in.

No comments:

Post a Comment