Thursday 22 May 2014

The Normal Heart: Kramer Vs Streisand

His [Larry Kramer's] efforts to get a movie made of “The Normal Heart” were delayed by jousting with Barbra Streisand, who had the film rights for years. He admitted to demanding “a lot of money” and that the story be told his way. Ms. Streisand has said she couldn’t raise the money; in Mr. Kramer’s telling, she also expressed discomfort about the subject of gay sex.

“I said, ‘I really think it’s important that after eons of watching men and women make love in the movies, it’s time to see two men do so,’ ” he said. “I bought her a book of very beautiful art pictures of two men making love, and she found it very distasteful.” In response, Ms. Streisand released a statement saying her intention for the movie was “to promote the idea of everyone’s right to love. Gay or straight!”

“Larry was at the forefront of this battle and, God love him, he’s still fighting,” she said. “But there’s no need to fight me by misrepresenting my feelings. As a filmmaker, I have always looked for new and exciting ways to do love scenes, whether they’re about heterosexuals or homosexuals. It’s a matter of taste, not gender.”

Referring to the gay couple at the center of “The Normal Heart,” she added: “I was trying to reach a large audience, and I wanted them to root for these two men to get married.”

Mr. Murphy initially used his own money to buy the rights, Mr. Kramer said, “which shows how much he wanted to do this, and how tacky it sort of is that Barbra never would think of something like that.”



The famously curmudgeonly Mr Kramer, there.

Fagburn wouldn't be surprised if his account is a complete distortion. 

The Normal Heart airs in the US on HBO Sunday.

4 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to see this. I've been reading the reviews and to be honest, while they all praise the film it seems like they're all mostly restrained in their praise (almost as if they want to criticise it more but feel they can't), so I'm hoping it just isn't what they're expecting and/or they're all 'tards and it's a masterpiece. Either way, I hope some fucker puts it up online by Monday night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has you watched this yet? I keep trying but stopping, not sure why.
    I've only managed 10 minutes so far...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doubt I'll ever watch it.
      Larry Kramer is a sanctimonious cunt.

      Delete
    2. The tragic modern gay, there.
      I bet you're too busy having a 'good time' and dancing off your poppered head to watch this ground-breaking work!!!!!

      Delete