Saturday 31 May 2014

Letters Of The Day: Lord Browne

Last week's Guardian Weekend.
Guardian Weekend.
See also the slightly more interesting Guardianwitness - readers write about coming out at work.

PS BBC Radio 5 Live interview with Richard Bacon.

And finally...

“I wish I had been brave enough to come out earlier in my tenure as CEO of BP,” he says. “I regret it to this day. I know that if I had done so I would have made more of an impact for other gay men and women.” He’s not kidding. In 2006, when The Independent on Sunday was compiling its annual Pink List – a celebration of Britain’s most influential lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people – a courtesy call was made to BP to make sure its CEO was willing to be mentioned. On the other end of the line, there was a sharp intake of breath, and a pause. “I don’t know what you are suggesting, but it is not in the least appropriate that his name is associated with that article,” said an unnamed spokesman. If we knew who it was, we’d send them a copy of Browne’s book.

Between The Covers, Independent On Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment