Sunday 29 April 2012

The Observer: Not Totally Straight

'...a much-discussed headline in the Sun last week. "Jessie Gay," it said, "Simon NOT Gay". Please update your sexuality Google doc: Jessie "gay" J is a "secret lesbian" and Simon "not gay, actually, no" Cowell is "totally straight". This month the Sun also ran stories on Prince Harry telling Alan Carr: "I'm not gay!", George Clooney saying he doesn't mind if people think he's gay, Emmerdale's Danny Miller saying: "I'm so glad I won't be kissing any more blokes" now he's leaving the soap, Liam from One Direction denying gay rumours, and an interesting piece on the sexuality of male dolphins (FYI: bi). It must be exhausting, mustn't it, keeping on top of who everyone wants to lie down with? I picture a But Is He Gay editor, sweating on his swivel chair, a well-worn MDF gayometer swinging doomily on his desk, the sweet smell of Lynx hazing above him like steam. Is Cowell "totally straight"?
'Dear the Sun – let me clarify…'

Eva Wiseman writing in The Observer.
So far, so fine.
She then goes on to compile one of those "You know you're not totally straight when" lists;
"If you have ever used disposable facial wipes or dry shampoo; if you have ever carried hand cream. If you have ever tried a speciality coffee. If you have ever cuddled someone platonically..."
It just seemed like a cliched exercise in space filling to me.
If I was forwarded a link to this - and it's just the kind of sickly/jokey drivel that gets passed on like viral pox - I'd be reaching for the Unfollow button.
And many of her markers of being "not totally straight" read more like markers of being middle class;
"If you have ever gone to a Westfield or similar mega-mall, one with a food court, and absolutely utterly hated it. If you have ever said "Hiya!" If you have ever added a garnish to your food..."
Westfield? Yuk!
Is it meant to be funny?
Maybe it's ironic?
Maybe I'm just in a mood?
Who can say?

6 comments:

  1. I think what she's getting, rather than a sincere attempt at separating gay from straight, is the absurdity of it all; that such lists and media obsession with categorisation are inherently pointless, especially in this day and age. Or might be reading it totally wrong ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - just read it again and I'm pretty sure the main thrust of the piece isn't ironic.
    How depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if that is the case it just renders the article a pointless exercise in trotting out trite gay cliché. Oh dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope its a joke, if it isn't its just junk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Fagburn,

    I don't use facial wipes, I don't carry hand cream, I don't drink speciality coffees, though I only fuck with other guys. Does this mean "I'm not totally gay"?

    Yours,
    Worried

    ReplyDelete