Monday 19 October 2015

#SoBrave Watch: Will Young

I had been following a very different idea for the video to Brave Man. When this didn't come to fruition I went back to the drawing board and wondered to myself what it is to be a 'brave man'.

It came to me.

It seems extremely brave to be a man in a woman's body and then decide to do something about this.

As I thought more about it, I realised that there is often coverage of what it is to be a woman in a man’s body, but never to my knowledge the documenting of the opposite (almost a perverted kind of patriarchy).

So the video came about...

To be vulnerable IS to be strong.

To express and show this is actually the bravest and most wonderful thing to do.

I know that transgender people do not like being called brave. It is something that is innate. Not a choice, but a given. Being a gay man I feel the same. I wasn't 'brave' to come out it was simply what I had to do...

Will Young's Facebook page. 

Bless.

PS Don't call trans people 'brave' – we're just trying to live in a prejudiced society, Rebecca Kling, Guardian Cif.


For a reply see Rejecting Allyship.

No comments:

Post a Comment