Friday 16 August 2013

Gay Stereotypes: Are Simply Super!


I should tell you that I love Britney Spears. I should also tell you that I am a member of the fanciest gym in town, and yes, I do consider it my church. Oh, and after my daily workouts in my fancy gym listening to Britney Spears, I frequently apply a layer of self-tanner in a not-so-discreet fashion after showering. One more thing: I only drink vodka sodas. And I drink a lot of them.

Now, some of you may consider me a walking, talking, choreography-memorizing, bar-hopping stereotype of gay culture. I hate to agree with you, but I totally am. And it doesn't bother me one bit.

I know all the jokes, labels and judgments that are made about boys like me. I am usually the one cracking them. I do not feel defined by any worn-out category or tired archetype just because a few of my interests may seem a little cliché. They are only but a few interests, of which there are many.

Conversely, I enjoy discussing, exploring and even poking fun at gay stereotypes. I do so because these stereotypes are only collections of accentuated characteristics, not actual people. And the more we learn to laugh at the caricatures that we all resemble from time to time, the more fully realized our true character will be...



More stuff like this please Huffington Post Gay Voices, and less stuff that's hand-eatingly dull and worthy.
Even though the gay media writing about "gay stereotypes" is a huge gay cliché, it's good to see someone celebrating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment