Friday 12 July 2013

Alan Whicker: 1923-2013

In 1973, Alan made the travelogue 'The Lord Is My Shepherd And He Knows I'm Gay'.
One hour on ITV prime-time by one of the most respected broadcasters of the day about... the gays and this new-fangled "Gay Lib"!
Almost unbelievable at the time.
Essentially non-judgemental, though in his usual anthropological style.
Some re/viewers were outraged cause it ended with a gay wedding and two fellas kissing.
Imagine!
Alan, Fagburn salutes you, sir!

PS Wish this was on YouTube. Anyone?

PPS Here's Alan in 1960 on some crazy beatniks. Hilarious.

3 comments:

  1. A quick Google suggests that this has either just been released or is imminent on DVD - Volume 3 of "Whickers World". x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see if it;s on thebox.bz and upload to yt if possible. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found it yet, but I did find an episode of Whicker's World broadcast in 1980 called "If A Cop Wiggled Around With Pink Hair And A Limp Wrist, It Would Discredit The Department", haha.
      I'll keep looking...

      Delete