Tuesday 5 January 2016

Barry Humphries: Nothing Like A Dame

Humphries is not, he insists, particularly Right wing. “I don’t know anything about politics. But the far Left is so conservative, paradoxically, inflexible, doctrinaire and humourless. You can’t describe the world as it is any more. You get jumped on.” Does he? He chortles. “I’m happy to say I do. I give offence therefore I am. Not too much offence, though.”

As an expat, Humphries is always grouped with fellow Australians Germaine Greer and Clive James. “I don’t mind; they’re friends,” he says. On the other hand, he disliked being linked to Rolf Harris. “He behaved evilly,” says Humphries. 

Greer attracted fury after claiming that “trans” women such as Caitlyn Jenner (formerly the Olympic athlete Bruce Jenner) are men “who believe that they are women and have themselves castrated”, with students at Cardiff University describing Greer as “transphobic” and someone who should make all right-minded people feel “sick to [their] stomachs”.

Humphries is supportive of Greer in the controversy. “I agree with Germaine! You’re a mutilated man, that’s all,” he says. “Self-mutilation, what’s all this carry on? Caitlyn Jenner – what a publicity-seeking ratbag. It’s all given the stamp – not of respectability, but authenticity or something. If you criticise anything you’re racist or sexist or homophobic.” ...

Telegraph. 

I imagine this will go down well, won't it?

Guardian Shortcut: Barry Humphries: Tactless bigot or another satirical creation? Hmm...

PS America's favourite trans Republican is the new cover star of The Advocate.

Update: This account has a blue tick for what it's worth.

2 comments:

  1. I love both him and Germaine Greer. It's sad that he's "a bit right-wing" but I don't really care anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that he's issued a retraction/semi-apology via Dame Edna, because she's always been the offensive one, as it were.

    ReplyDelete