Sunday 12 June 2011

Thoughts For The Day: Simon Callow

You were one of the first mainstream actors to come out publicly. What made you do it?
I’m a very unconvincing liar.

Are you surprised in this day and age that someone like David Laws felt pressured to “stay in” — and torpedo his own career?
Yup. The longer you leave it the harder it gets. All those lies to all those people over all those years.

Are you bored with being asked about gayness all the time?
Nope.

You’ve said recently you don’t care about Oscars. Is that because you’ve never won one?
Yup.

Simon Callow on fruitily good form in The Sunday Times today.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic.
    The Guardian always seems to get Simon Callow to review gay-related books; gay authors, gay-themed, gay characters, etc.
    I always wondered if this was because they only send him those kinds of books to review or if he had a say in which ones he got to write about.
    I have no idea how these things work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure he just phones up the Books Editor and says "Can I review this for you, darling?"
    He's jolly good with the words thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm pretty sure he just phones up the Books Editor and says 'Can I review this for you, darling?'"

    Might try that myself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practise doing his voice for a bit first...

    ReplyDelete