Sunday 8 May 2011

Evan Davis: The Gay Today

Thrilling news for lovers of popular TV economics programmes!
Evan Davis - one of Fagburn's most favourite people - has two new TV series coming up on BBC2; Business Nightmares and Made In Britain.
The Observer used this as an excuse to run a Q&A with the Today presenter.
Mr Davis makes some quite fascinating points about the decline of the UK's manufacturing industries and Japanese/US exchange rates, but Fagburn would be lying like a Lib Dem manifesto if he didn't say he was really interested in the last two questions and answers.

Does it annoy you when you're called a gay presenter?
It doesn't annoy me but I think of myself as a presenter who is gay, rather than a gay presenter. It's a subtle distinction, but that's how I view it. I don't think I'm hugely camp on air. Private Eye did do a funny spoof of me interviewing Peter Mandelson in which it was all, 'Ooh get her…' [laughs]. I'm quite proud to be gay; I'm not hiding it.

What about when you were photographed in jeans with a biker chain…
I was papped! Apparently, I was breaking some hidden Daily Mail sartorial rule that meant I had to dress in a suit to go across the road to get milk. I think the headline was "Please Mr Davis, Won't You Dress Your Age?". That phrase – "Please Mr Davis" – is used in our household quite a lot by my partner. "Pleeeease Mr Davis, won't you do the washing up…"

Shame The Observer thought the banal truism - "I'm a presenter who is gay rather than a gay presenter" - was worthy of being used as a headline.
As a tribute to Tinsel Tits Evan Davis, Fagburn has reprinted one of the paparazzi shots above.
Eat your heart out, Britney!

2 comments:

  1. Is Evan nicking the charity box in that photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why were the paps following Evan Davis in the first place!?
    Maybe Staci from the third series of X Factor was standing behing him...

    ReplyDelete