Saturday 14 May 2011

Eurovision: A Heated Debate

Charles Shaar Murray: I've been thinking about what it is about this oom-pah stuff, or its modern, glitzy equivalent, that I don't like, and I figure it's because most of the music I like is derived from an African-American tradition – soul, blues, rock, reggae. But the Americans ain't in it, the Latin Americans ain't in it, the Caribbeans ain't in it.

Cheryl Baker: In Eurovision? That's because it's Europe! Although there is Israel.

Charles Shaar Murray: I have a problem with that. It's like they're saying, OK, we may be geographically in the Middle East, but culturally we're down with you white folks. Here's my Eurovision nightmare: this is what all popular music would have been like if the Nazis had won.

Cheryl and Charles talk Eurovision in The Guardian.
Mr Murray clearly has no grasp of the charm of the bad.
Here's someone who does - a great, funny live blog from Eurovision World Of Chig.
Fagburn will be rooting for Jedward.

No comments:

Post a Comment