Sunday 6 March 2011

Thought For The Day 2: Michael Stipe

"For a time I was conflicted by how I was represented, and then Aids came, and that's an era that has still to be spoken about in depth by people of my age. It was a very difficult time to be honest and frank about one's sexuality. And a very scary time for people like myself, who were not able to be tested anonymously without some concern. I mean, under Reagan, lest we forget, there was a time when they were talking about internment camps for people who were HIV positive. To this day I can't give blood to the Red Cross because I have sex with a man...
"On a sliding scale of sexuality I'd place myself around 80-20, but I definitely prefer men to women. I had sex with, and enjoyed sex with, women until I met someone that I fell in love with, and who is now my boyfriend. That's the only real news in the last 12 years, but when it's a slow news day I get dragged out of some closet again."

Michael Stipe, interviewed by Sean O'Hagan for The Observer.
For the record Fagburn should point out Stipe may hold the record for the number of times a star has "come out". First - arguably - in 2001 in Time magazine. I think the last time was in 2008 in Spin magazine.
Slow news days? It might help if your press officer didn't announce you've come out - again!? - when REM have a new album coming out. Just sayin'...

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if Michael Stipe has ever sent himself to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He really reminds me of someone in that photo.
    WHO?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way he looks like he's happy getting old.

    ReplyDelete