Saturday 5 March 2011

David Starkey: Getting Into Bed With The Enemy


The Christian Institute has got a new BFF!
Hallelujah!
It's David Starkey, of making endless unwatchable TV programmes about the Royal Family fame.
Funny, I bet you're thinking, isn't he an atheist and a gayer and "the rudest man in Britain"?
Yes, but he's just come out very publicly in defence of anti-gay Christians.
''Gay Historian David Starkey Defends Christians', The Christian Institute hosannas on its website.
Mrs Mr Starkey was on Question Time yet again on Thursday, being rude and spitting feathers about this awful modern world.
They got onto discussing those new equality laws that Christian bigots keeping fall foul of.
David Starkey offered a stark warning; “I am gay and I am atheist but I have profound doubts about this case.
"It seems to me that what we are doing is producing a tyrannous new morality that is every bit as oppressive as the old.”
You better get used to these words - you're going to hear them hurled at us endlessly by The Daily Mail et al.
He explained that when he grew up being gay was "very difficult..." [Makes sad face]
"But I am very, very concerned that a new sort of liberal morality is coming in which is as intolerant, is as oppressive, is as intrusive into family life.”
Remember that nice Christian couple that got fined because they discriminated against a gay couple?
David thought that was madness, and made a modest proposal; “It is for them simply to put up what seems to me to be a quite proper notice in a small privately-run hotel which says we are Christians and this is what we believe.
“Otherwise, we are as I said, we're producing a new tyranny,” a line so good he's said it thrice.
"And can I also tell you something else?"
I fear you're going to anyway.
It's not going to be an Andrew Pierce-style "I, as a gay man, hate this gayery", is it David?
"Speaking as somebody who is gay and had a mother who was a Christian and passionately hated and opposed it, the hatred and the opposition made me what I am.
"Being nice and sweet about gays isn't wholly a good thing. It really isn't.
"We live in a world of intense difficulty and plurality, and just having a hand-me-down, reach-me-down, off-the-hanger imposed morality is a very bad idea."
What a silly old sod.
Surprised? You shouldn't be.
David Starkey is a gay Tory, so squaring circles and embracing contradictions come as easy to him as farting.
He used to be chairman of TORCHE, the Conservative Campaign For Homosexual Equality, who despite their name were never really known for campaigning for equality.
A gay Uncle Tom?
David's more of an Aunty Tom.
Getting into bed with the enemy - when the enemy won't let us sleep in the same room.
Praise be!

11 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of him as a self loathing andrew pierce-style gayer. Bet he doesn't like the queens either.

    When he mentions the hatred and opression and not to be sweet to gays, does he think that discrimination should remain because it's character building? oh david. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a boy I lived in a rabbit hutch for eight years. Never did me any harm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Starkey's self-loathing, he's right-wing - it's other gayers he loathes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And he was rude to a fat kid in a history lesson at jamie oliver's new school.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good piece, Fagburn.
    I loathe David Starkey. He's become a sort of self-parody, esp. whenever he's on Question Time.
    Brian Cox was on one episode with him a few months ago and put him in his place. Great to see.
    He's an attention whore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's the Gilbert Harding de nos jours.
    Silly old queen...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Gil Harding episode of Face To Face is quite moving.
    I'm feeling moist just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian Cox pwns David Starkey.

    He's right about him being corrupt. Poisonous little man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great.

    "Your sense of theatre is ridiculous!"

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just come across this post - going back in time. I've not been able to watch Question Time, or listen to the Today programme for years because of these bastards - I feel that all TV/Radio has been infested with vain silly creatures. Is there an option I'm missing? Is there a decent morning radio programme, or discussion show that isn't as daft as this lot? Please?

    ReplyDelete