Friday 15 November 2013

Robbie Williams: Swings One Way

The gayest straight man in pop is delighted the full title of his new swing album is Robbie Williams - Swings Both Ways.

"There is a history of gay people pretending to be straight," Williams says. "I want to balance the sides. I'm a straight person pretending to be gay. I've had a lot of people to imitate. It's easy when you're British, we're camp by nature anyway. My wife, who's American, when she first came to England and watched the TV with me, she'd be like 'Well, he's gay, isn't he?' No he's not, he's just British."

Robbie has never been more camp than on the title track Swings Both Ways, a duet with Canadian singer/songwriter Rufus Wainwright, a proudly gay man.

The lush, orchestrated track is full of salty euphemisms and ends with Rufus stating "Face it Robbie, you're a little bit gay."

"I have an itch to scratch, it has to be scratched regularly," Williams jokes...


Sydney Telegraph.

Update: Robbie also appeared on an Australian chatshow, and was asked whether in his younger days he had a go at swinging both ways.

“You know what? I wish I did.

“Especially in the singleton days, I would have had a 100 per cent hit record, because you know, if I was getting no joy from the ladies, I could have gone up the Khyber Pass with the guys.

“And I would have liked to have done that, but unfortunately I shy away from the meat and two veg. I know what mine looks like and it’s ugly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment