Tuesday 26 March 2013

Gay Media: Hoax Week Continues Apace!


The New Yorker runs a satirical column called The Borowitz Report.
It is satire - if you don't know what satire means, it kinda means saying something that isn't true for comedic and/or ironic affect, or subjecting someone to ridicule via the ancient art of taking the piss.
Here's a thing they published today - Scalia Says Marriage Views Not Affected by Lifelong Fear of Gays - about that gay marriage thing which is still kicking off in the States right now...

As the Supreme Court prepared to hear two cases involving same-sex marriage this week, Justice Antonin Scalia said that he would not allow his votes to be influenced “in any way” by his lifelong fear of gays.
“As Justices of the Supreme Court, we have a sacred duty to check our personal feelings at the door,” he told the Fox News Channel. “In my case, that means putting aside my longstanding and profound fear of homosexuals.”
Justice Scalia added that he was committed “to safeguarding the rights of all Americans—even those I personally find terrifying.”
“I take my role as an impartial arbiter very seriously,” he said. “So when I hear a case, I put all feelings of abhorrence, disgust, and revulsion completely out of my mind.”
The Justice said that when it came to the issue of same-sex marriage he would rely on the Constitution, “which makes no mention of gays whatsoever.”
“Remember, when the framers wrote the Constitution, there were no gays in America,” he said. “They didn’t come here until the nineteen-sixties.”

Pretty funny, yeah?
Not according to Pink News - who cut-and-pasted it and ran it as a real news story.*

With the US Supreme Court gearing up to hear two landmark cases around equal marriage this week, one of the court justices said he would put “aside” his “profound fear of homosexuals”.
Speaking to Fox News, Justice Antonin Scalia made the comments before going in for the first day of hearings, around Proposition 8, California’s state-wide ban on equal marriage.
He said: “As Justices of the Supreme Court, we have a sacred duty to check our personal feelings at the door… In my case, that means putting aside my longstanding and profound fear of homosexuals.”
“I take my role as an impartial arbiter very seriously,” he continued. “So when I hear a case, I put all feelings of abhorrence, disgust, and revulsion completely out of my mind.”
The justice went on to say that he was committed “to safeguarding the rights of all Americans—even those I personally find terrifying.”
He went on to say that he would bear in mind that the US Constitution “makes no mention of gays whatsoever”.
“Remember, when the framers wrote the Constitution, there were no gays in America,” he said. “They didn’t come here until the nineteen-sixties,” he said, reports the New Yorker.

You couldn't make it up etc etc etc.
I keep meaning to start the Fagburn Completely Pointless Gay Awards For Stupidity, and this surely has to be a shoo-in.
Where do they find these people?

With thanks to Matt. x

* Update: For some strange reason the text has now been removed from the page. Shame. (Shame?)

No comments:

Post a Comment