Monday 18 March 2013

Dennis Upkins: The Myth Of Black Homophobia

One of the most infuriating things about being a queer black male is the fact you have to CONSTANTLY deal with the seemingly never-ending barrage of attacks and false accusations about how black people are more innately homophobic than any other group on the rest of the planet.

No matter how many times I state facts, news articles or just point simple common sense, I still get told that I don’t know what I’m talking about. These people are experts on a culture and a race that they are not affiliated with.

Shockingly 99 percent of the people who do this are white.

What’s even more shocking that while everyone has an opinion on blacks/LGBTQs/and homophobia, it’s rare that anyone ever asks queer blacks on our perspectives in existing in both minorities.


In fact, since coming out, I’ve only had maybe four whites comes to me in good faith and ASK whether or not homophobia in the black community being worse is true rather than WHITESPLAINING to me that it is...

The Myth Of Black Homophobia, Dennis Upkins, from the blog At The Bar.  
Thanks to @urbanbohemian.
Wonder how much this is reinforced by all those "scary black man" news stories in the gay media? 
But it's not all bad... here's a feature on a crap gay rapper no-one else cares about, MC Token!

No comments:

Post a Comment