Saturday 23 March 2013

Duncan James: Out Of The Blue - Or Was He Pushed?

Last night's episode of the ITV2 show [The Big Reunion] was amazing in quite a different way. Lovely Duncan James from boyband gave us a heartfelt insight into how difficult he found having his true sexuality made public back in 2009. "I wanted to still be kind of known as 'Duncan James from Blue, the heartthrob'. The ladies' man. If anybody ever used to say anything about me - 'I think he's gay' - I would get this panic inside me," he said.
The 34-year-old singer revealed that he felt "so frightened" just before The News of the World broke the news that he was bisexual that he  "couldn't even be in the UK" and fled the country. Dunc also opened up about his struggle to coming to terms with his sexuality as a result of his religious upbringing. "Being brought up as a strict Catholic, the whole gay thing in my head was bad and wrong," he said. "And it wasn't until I was in the band, being around other gay guys, understanding that actually you can be gay. It's alright to like other guys."

Duncan (from Blue) in The Mirror. 

Obviously, post-Hackgate and post-Leveson the fact that he "came out' in The News of the World doesn't set any alarm bells ringing.
Hell no.
"Hmm... what shall I do today? I know! I'll tell a journalist on a Murdoch tabloid I fuck dudes!" 
I bet this is exactly what happened, and there was nothing more to it.
The NOTW interview - I Have Feelings With Men - appears on this Duncan (From Blue) fansite....

He’s had female lovers by the score, but now the pop heart-throb reveals the incredible truth
POP hunk Duncan James last night confessed his shocking gay secret and admitted: “I’m bisexual. I’ve been in loving relationships with men as well as women – and I’m not ashamed.
“But even though I fancy men, I still fancy WOMEN too.”
The Blue singer’s revelation will stun his millions of female fans worldwide plus the dozens of women he has been linked with, including Geri Halliwell, Tara Palmer Tomkinson, Martine McCutcheon and ex-Big Brother winner Kate Lawler.
But on the eve of the boyband’s reunion tour, the handsome singer says it is time for him to let his fans know the truth.
In an emotional interview with the News of the World he said: “I was living a secret life. I went through a process of asking what the f*** am I?"

Update: Comments below suggest I may not have made my point here clear, but to paraphrase Boris Johnson on The Andrew Marr Show ^^^, basically the News Of The World would call people up and say; "We've got this story about you - do you want to co-operate or do you not want to co-operate?" 

6 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that isn't Duncan (from Blue)'s website, but rather a Romanian site dedicated to Duncan (from Blue).

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bum!

      I Googled for the News of the World interview and couldn't find the original, but that was on the first page and I assumed it was Dunc's cause of the URL.

      thanks.

      x

      Delete
  2. And the point is, caller?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly - be more specific, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hackgate and Leveson reminded us how the News of the World and other tabloids would get "dirt" on celebs, politicians etc by various nefarious means and subterfuge - then often present them with it, and blackmail them into giving them a story.
      I doubt Duncan (from Blue) came out apropos of nothing in the News of the Screws.

      Delete