Tuesday 19 March 2013

Michelle Shocked: Shocked?

 michelle-shocked-bigot.jpg 
Alt-folk singer Michelle Shocked, who gained wide fame on college radio and MTV in the late 80s and early 90s but has more recently become a born-again Christian, literally shocked audiences [sic] on Sunday at Yoshi's San Francisco when during her second set she launched into a hate-filled speech about gays and gay marriage. "I live in fear," she said, "that the world will be destroyed if gays are allowed to marry."
Yoshi's plugged the show calling Shocked "The most sophisticated hillbilly you ever met," and her earlier reputation was one of a punk folkie who skateboarded, fought for progressive causes, and dug rock and roll. Indeed her politics still veer toward the left, as she was arrested during an Occupy L.A. protest, and she still calls herself "a radical skateboard punk-rock anarchist." 

Sfist.com.

Not sure what to make of this - part of me wants to think she was being ironic (that quote is so bonkers it sounds like a joke), but apparently not.
She seems to have turned into another religious anti-gay loon.
But if she's not les then I'm Jeremy Clarkson.

Thanks to TW.

PS Quick list of some other musicians who found religion; Little Richard, Cliff Richard, Cat Stevens... Just sayin' like.

Update: Two days later she issued a lengthy statement saying sorry... kinda;

"I do not, nor have I ever, said or believed that God hates homosexuals (or anyone else). I said that some of His followers believe that. I believe intolerance comes from fear, and these folks are genuinely scared. When I said "Twitter that Michelle Shocked says "God hates faggots," I was predicting the absurd way my description of, my apology for, the intolerant would no doubt be misinterpreted. The show was all music, and the audience tweets said they enjoyed it. The commentary came about ten minutes later, in the encore.
"And to those fans who are disappointed by what they've heard or think I said, I'm very sorry: I don't always express myself as clearly as I should. But don't believe everything you read on facebook or twitter. My view of homosexualty has changed not one iota. I judge not. And my statement equating repeal of Prop 8 with the coming of the End Times was neither literal nor ironic: it was a description of how some folks - not me - feel about gay marriage..."

Via BrooklynVegan. 

Here's an audio file of her rant, so you can make your own mind up. Does sound like she was speaking her own mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment