Tuesday 16 August 2011

Thought For The Day: Tony Kushner

"A handful of works in history have had a direct impact on social policy. One or two works of Dickens, some of Zola, Uncle Tom's Cabin and, in modern drama, Larry Kramer's The Normal Heart. But if I believed that Angels in America was important simply because it raised levels of sexual tolerance or encouraged people to be nicer to gays, I'd still be sitting at my laptop wondering what to do next. In fact, my new play is a big American family drama in the Eugene O'Neill tradition. I'm not a missionary. I'm primarily addressing progressive communities in the hope that we can go forward into the darkness trying to figure things out together."

Tony Kushner interviewed by Michael Billington in The Guardian.
The strapline; "When Tony Kushner's honorary degree was vetoed over allegations that he was anti-Israel, there was an outcry. Here he talks for the first time about the controversy"
Good stuff, but it's not the first time.
Here he is talking to Amy Goodman on Democracy Now! in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment