Friday 12 August 2011

Simon Hughes: Hacked Off

"It is generally known that I was one of the victims of phone hacking who gave evidence in the trial of Glenn Mulcaire and Clive Goodman.
"It is important now that all those who were clearly the subject of criminal activity help to get to the bottom of what happened during this dark period in British journalism.
"I have always been clear that the reason why I was most critical about illegal activity in my case was not the effect on my reputation but the invasion of privacy of others - constituents, colleagues, family and friends who should never expect to be the subject of illegal press intrusion."

The Evening Standard.
The story was that Simon Hughes was outed by The Sun because they'd gone through his bins and found his phone records - these showed he'd phoned a gay chatline.
Fuck knows why this was considered acceptable.
The story "Simon Hughes: I've Had Gay Sex" has now been deleted from The Sun's archive.
I wonder if News International is paying someone to delete incriminating stories?
You can read it here.
Incidentally the bottom line of The Sun's front page read; "Another One Bites The Pillow".
Homophobic? Toi?

1 comment:

  1. Nice reminder of how recently the Sun was still comfortable running blatantly homophobic cover lines. Currently I can't seem to access any stories from before 2010 on the Sun site - is that when they stopped hacking voicemails perhaps? (PS I read that headline as 'I'M TOO GAY')

    ReplyDelete