Tuesday 6 July 2010

David Bowie: "Oh man I need TV when I got T. Rex..."


This is a week old, but Fagburn makes no great apologies on this one.
I'd pulled it out of the paper to read later, but had put it off.
One, because it was Gary Kemp of Spandau Ballet fame.
And two, because it was one of those "David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust changed my life" features, and although I'm quite the fan, I've read rather a lot of people saying that over the the years.
I have to concede Mr Kemp starts out rather well; "The first time I fell in love it was with a man. It happened one Thursday evening in the bedroom of a flat in King's Cross. I was a wide-eyed boy of 12 and the object of my passion had dyed orange hair and white nail varnish. Looking out from a tiny TV screen was a Mephistophelean messenger from the space age, a tinselled troubadour to give voice to my burgeoning sexuality. Pointing a manicured finger down the barrel of a BBC lens, he spoke to me: "I had to phone someone, so I picked on you." I had been chosen."
But Kemp also pointed out something simple but obvious about why Glam Rock turned the world of Pop day-glo in the early 70s, that I'd never seen anyone mention before.
"In 1971, [our family's] telly went colour."
And it's true. That was the time when colour TVs first became pretty standard in Britain's homes, hence the arrival of all those over-painted boys in their technicolour leotards and their shockingly dyed hair, just like David.
Another victory for Occam's Razor!

No comments:

Post a Comment