Tuesday 8 June 2010

Malawi: Second Marriage


Make of this what you will, but Stephen Monjeza - one half of the "Malawi gay couple" that Fagburn has pointed out several times were no longer a couple and probably don't identify as gay - has announced that he has "dumped his homosexual 'wife' Tiwonge Chimbalanga to marry a Blantyre-based woman," according to the Malawi newspaper The Nation.
"I have had enough," Monjeza said. "I was forced into the whole drama and I regret the whole episode. I want to live a normal life... not a life where I would be watched by everyone, booed and teased."
The poor man's been through an appalling ordeal, but he looked equally unhappy and haunted in both partnerships.
Chimbalanga is quoted in The Guardian as saying that Monjeza had found a female lover "to hurt" him.
"But I am not worried. You cannot force love, and nobody forced him when we did our symbolic wedding in December."
He also said he did not resent Monjeza's decision. "I will also marry because there are lots of good men around. I will remain a gay."
It's worth noting the last word.
A blog on The Guardian's Comment Is Free by Natacha Kennedy that first pointed out that Tiwonge probably didn't predominantly identify as gay and had lived "as a woman".
See this interview with him in The Times in January; "I am a woman. I can do what a woman can do."
It's not clear if Tiwonge was answering a question asked by The Guardian, or if he was talking in English.
And on that bombshell...

No comments:

Post a Comment