Saturday 12 June 2010

Kele Okereke: But I Know It's Ok Ok

Kele Okereke gets the front cover of today's Guardian Guide - a kind of cool.
Interesting interview with Dorian Lynskey concentrating on him coming out, which the (former?) Bloc Party singer did relatively quietly in Butt earlier this year.
He seems so much more relxed now... etc etc etc.
"I'm happier now than I ever have been. I'm getting better at enjoying it while it's happening. I'm taking time out in different cities, I'm seeing friends, I'm dancing, I'm having sex, I'm having fun. It can be fun making music with people."
That's nice, dear.
But compare and contrast it to another quote in The Guide;
"It seems to me that the dominant mode of gay culture is taking drugs and sleeping around. It's just harmful. I think that sort of life doesn't really make anyone happy. It didn't make me happy, even when I was younger. I know my views might seem quite Victorian but I think there's something to be said for discipline."
And wasn't Kele coming out - or being outed - in this interview with Craig McLean for The Observer Magazine in 2007?
But anyway, I bet David McAlmont's relieved he's no longer the go-to guy when the press want a quote from a gay black man/singer on any pressing issue of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment