Friday 19 February 2016

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Behind The Spandex

One of the original Power Rangers stars quit because he was the victim of homophobic bullying.

David Yost played the original Blue Ranger/Billy Cranston in the 1990s TV series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and became a fan favourite.

In a 2010 interview that has resurfaced online this week, Yost opened up about his reasons for quitting the show in 1996 – and the reasons might ruin your childhood memories.

Speaking at the Anime Festival Orlando 2010, he said he fell out with the show’s production team and creators because of his sexuality.

He said that his co-stars were repeatedly quizzed about what they knew about his sexuality, and he was also the victim of vile homophobic abuse.

He said: “I walked off set one day during the middle of lunch – I had made a decision, I had been thinking about it for a good week, and the reason I walked off was because I was called faggot one too many times.

“I had heard that several times while working on the show from creators, producers, writers, directors.

“It’s not that people can’t talk about me, and have their opinion about me – but continuing to work in an environment like that is really difficult."

He added: “That’s the vibe I was getting. I know my co-stars were getting called in a couple times to different producers’ offices to be questioned about my sexuality, which is a humiliating experience.

“There were a lot of issues – it felt like a bad marriage. I could either stay and finish six more months, or just go – and I was worried about my life. “I was worried I might take my own life, and in order to get a handle in what was going on, I needed to leave when I left. That’s why I left the show.” ...


Pink News. 

When two notoriously homophobic worlds - Hollywood and kids' TV - collide!

I am convinced this happened exactly as described!

No comments:

Post a Comment