Wednesday 30 April 2014

Will Young: Why I Love Magritte




My passion for Magritte has manifested itself subconsciously in a lot of my work. In my videos, I often play characters who seem humorous at first, yet there's something else behind all that. In the video for Friday's Child, I'm swimming in a pool, topless, with ripped abs. But I'm not like Usher, dancing around with babes in a car. I'm learning how to swim. With four-year-olds. And that's subversive.

Magritte was smart on the outside, rebellious on the inside, and that is kind of me. I'm a very well-to-do guy, very well meaning. I don't shake anything up. I'm not rock'n'roll. But I like to think that, if you look at the levels in my work, there's a lot to see...

Will 'Nice but dim' Young in The Guardian.

Words fail me, while satire dies pissing itself laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment