Sunday 8 December 2013

Problem of The Day: Barbie Boy

Q. My lovely grandson is six years old and not at all a typical boy. He's obsessed with Disney films, and when I used to take him to playgroup he always rushed to put on the girls' dressing-up clothes. I know he likes to wear his sister's clothes, too.

What worries me is that his mother, my daughter-in-law, discourages this side of him. He told me he had wanted to go to a birthday party dressed as a Disney princess, but she told him to wear a pirate costume instead.

I know he adores Barbie dolls and wanted me to buy him one for Christmas, but when I checked with my daughter-in-law, she said they have only gender-neutral toys in their house. I feel strongly about this because my other son (her brother-in-law) was a bit the same. He liked wearing my clothes and jewellery, and I was happy to let him. He has grown up to be a confident and contented gay man. I want my grandson to be happy with who he is. What should I do?

A. Well, this is a new one
...

No comments:

Post a Comment