Saturday 30 July 2011

John Bercow: Thought For The Day

"Somebody once said politicians complaining about the media is like sailors complaining about the sea – it's about as fruitful. I did refer to one paper [the Daily Mail] as being sexist, racist, bigoted – somehow I missed out the adjective homophobic. I was asked if have any regrets about saying that. I do because, and this is an abiding failing of mine," he pauses, like a comedian, timing the punchline, "I was guilty of understatement.
"I've got two categories of opponent – snobs and bigots. I think bigotry can be cured because I once held those views myself. As I'm aware, there's no known cure for snobbery. I feel rather sorry that those people, usually of no very great distinction, who think that because of the school they went to, the house they live in, or the person they married, or the money they've got, that they're better than you...
"I had voted once if not twice for statutory discrimination. In discussion with [former Tory backbencher] Tim Boswell, I came to the view that this is wrong, there's no reason to have this statutory discrimination. That caused me to think about other issues on that spectrum – Section 28, civil partnerships, gay adoption. I became completely convinced of the case for LGBT equality, and I thought my party wasn't frankly very sympathetic."

John Bercow, The Speaker of the House, Conservative (but possibly and technically not anymore), The Guardian.

4 comments:

  1. That was great, I'd vote for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Bercow, but a lot of people seem to hate him.
    He may well have been a complete arse when he was over on the dark side, but his wife has brought him over to reason and decency. :)
    He's apparently a brilliant parliamentarian. I mean, he knows the ins and outs of Westminster as well as anyone and how to get bills through etc. I guess that's how he ended up as speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of Tory MPs seem to hate him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not just tories though. I get the impression most people think he's arrogant and cocky.
    I think he's hawt!!!

    ReplyDelete